Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:27:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@white.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

> I get a a "fatal trap 12:  page fault in kernel mode."
> Then the machine reboots.

I had this exact problem. I don't remember what caused it, though :(
I'll rack my brain and contact you if I remember.

> I have been tearing my hair out over this for the past 2 days.  I've tried
> switching hard drives, I've made a new boot disk,I have disconnected and
> reconnected everything inside that computer at least a dozen times.

It's not a hardware problem. (At least, it wasn't for me).

Is your hardware configured correctly? There might be a clash between
devices somewhere.

Now I see the value of keeping a diary of all the problems I encounter
and their solutions.

Ok brain, to the rack with you...