Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:22:25 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "Michael Johnson" <ahze@ahze.net>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: improving firefox port

Π'ΡΤΞΙΓΡ 10 ΜΙΣΤΟΠΑΔ 2006 08:11, Michael Johnson ΞΑΠΙΣΑΧ:
> > The following changes to firefox/Makefile and mozilla/Makefile.common,
> > along with attached additional patch (firefox/files/patch-sysbz2) allow:
> >
> > š š š š 1) use of the base system's -lbz2 instead of compiling Mozilla's
> > own;

> I'm not 100% sure if this is still true (I'll try later today) but
> excluding mozilla/modules/zlib will break Sunbird. I'm
> all for using system -lbz2/zlib though.

That means, Sunbird needs to be fixed :-) I'll try building it here and see.

> > š š š š 2) build and run the vendor's self-checks (yes, I'm still at it
> > :-)
>
> I like this, but do you think we should add this to ALL_TARGET instead
> of adding a check: target and manually run make check?

I think, self-tests should be run -- whenever they are available -- every time
after build. People use crazy compiler flags and find numerous other ways to
shoot themselves in the foot... Self-test failures are the proverbial canary
in the mine, which does wonders to isolate problems.

In firefox' case, the available self-testing is rather rudimentary, at the
moment, though. It is very quick...

	-mi