Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:15:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setuid root sendmail vs. mode 1733 /var/spool/mqueue?

Rodney Grimes wrote:

> On mail hub servers I usually make /tmp and /var/tmp a seperate
> partition to avoid this denial of service attack, makeing
> /var/spool/mqueue 1733 would open it back up :-(.
>
> It is impossible to totally close, as the user can mail himself
> or someone else a large file, or lots of smaller files :-(.

Like /tmp, we have a separate filesystem for /var/mail, and
we put the mqueue directory as /var/mail/mqueue (you can either
do this by making /var/spool/mqueue a link to /var/mail/mqueue
or explicitly in the sendmail.cf file.)

| Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
| /dev/sd0s2f    127151     6619   110359     6%    /tmp
| /dev/sd0s2g    127151    18397    98581    16%    /var/mail

We hope to minimize damage this way in case of a denial of service
via mail.

Regards,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;