Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 13:27:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, isp@FreeBSD.org, Chad Shackley <chad@gaianet.net>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@PrimeNet.Com>
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > The reason I keep saying 2GB is because that seems to be the current
> > "sweet spot" where the price per gigabyte is lowest, and the
> > performanc is at least "good".
>
> For price, 2GB is your ticket.  For performance, 1GB is (I have recently
> paid the "premium" to get a dozen and a half ST-31055N's... ouch...  it
> hurts, but you get almost double the throughput for having spent about
> 30% more than the 2GB drives would have cost).

	Hmmm, speaking about 2 GIG drives, the new Barracuda's are cheaper
than the ST32550N, I wonder if any performance is sacraficed since it has
half the cache but come in both UltraSCSI and UltraSCSI Wide versions.
Never thought about it but 5 2 GIG drives are cheaper than a single 9 gig
drive, I always thought the bigger the drive, the less the cost per
megabyte.

> > Of course 7200RPM drives are faster.  But, if you can buy an extra
> > drive or two, and put that in the stripe set, with the money you save
> > by going 5400RPM, that extra drive might just make up the difference
> > in speed.  So, to say it the other way around: no, you don't need
> > 7200RPM drives.
>
> Yes.  I will put a two-disk stripe of a pair of ST-31055N Hawk-2 drives
> (9ms, 5400RPM, etc) up against a single ST-32550N Barracuda (8ms, 7200RPM)
> any day and beat it by a fair margin.  And relatively speaking, with the
> 32550N's hovering around $650 and 31055N's around $320, tell me what
> makes more sense to do  :-)
>
> But I will grant that the 32155N's, in the low 5's are attractive too.

	Hmmm, I know I just asked this.  but how does striping work and is
it only for SCSI drives?

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin