Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 17:31:36 -0400
From:      Michel Joly de Lotbiniere <mjdl@interlog.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly), pechter@shell.monmouth.com, gryphon@healer.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeNix?

Hello,
I've not had a chance to follow all the discussion re. system
init scripts, but no one has yet mentioned an existing
concrete example of a non-proprietary SysV alternative. I am
no Unix hacker or even aware of all the technical issues, but
people could subject the existing Linux SysV init package

ftp://tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/sources/sbin/SysVinit-?.??.tgz

to a close analysis, for ideas and requirements. This particular
package is copylefted, I think, and is certainly Linux specific,
but if the shoe fits...

On another subject mentioned in these discussions: the package
installation utilities. Again, there's a concrete example, freely
available, to sharpen wits:

ftp://ftp.debian.org:/debian/source/base/dpkg-?.??.??.?.tar.gz
and files Guidelines, doc/* in that package

This seems to take care of package creation/dependencies, pre-,post-install,
pre-,post-removal, checksumming and saving user configured files on
upgrading and/or replacement of packages, control of up- and down-
-grading, and a few other things. Getting it to work in the
context of the BSD environment might be wasting effort, but an
examination by the interested parties would not be.

Anyway, just my opinion...
Michel Joly de Lotbiniere
mjdl@interlog.com