Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:50:17 +0900
From:      Melon <melon@orangenetwork.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: 137/udp

Hello,

I'm not familiar with NetBIOS behavior, but I know 137/udp (source) ->
53/udp (destination) is used for name resolving.

All of Windows and Windows NT clients here are not installed Microsoft
network sharing service, but I have Samba server for these Windows
clients as the file server.

I expected any of 137/udp packets incoming from outside of my LAN  are
illegal before.

I wanted to know...

* How 137/udp packet is sent for my network from Internet?
* All of 137/udp packets are intended for portscan or explicit attack?

I have missed to tell this...
When 137/udp was sent here (the PC I'm writing this e-mail; Windows 98 SE),
I was running Napster just for uploading a file.
I'm logging an IP address of all 6699/tcp connections for security
reason. Since I was doing tail -f [logname_for_my_firewall], I found
6699/tcp and 137/udp were coming from the same IP address. I asked
him/her "Did you do something for my computer?" using Napster, I
expected he or she would ignore my stupid question if he/she really or
explicitly attacked me. However, the person who were connecting from the
IP address was replied me and not seemed cracker.
I have talked with so much entry-level pc users, so I asked him/her
detailed PC related question. I can't believe he/she have attacked me.

Now, I got problem. I expected *all* 137/udp from the outside are only intended
for cracking. So I would like to know the 2 points listed above.

- Melon