Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:34:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity,	and lifecycle

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> on 17/01/2012 00:28 John Kozubik said the following:
>> we going to run RELEASE software ONLY
>
> My opinion: you've put yourself in a box that is not very compatible with
> the current FreeBSD release strategy.  With your scale and restrictions you
> probably should just use the FreeBSD source and roll your own releases from
> a stable branch of interest (including testing, etc).  Or have your own
> "branch" where you could cherry-pick interesting changes from any FreeBSD
> branches.  Tools like e.g. git and mercurial make it easy.  Of course, this
> strategy is not as easy as trying to persuade the rest of FreeBSD
> community/project/thing to change its ways, but perhaps a little bit more
> realistic.  You can bond with similarly minded organizations to share
> costs/work/etc.  It's a community-driven project after all.

Suppose for a moment we get the .x release process fixed: we start cutting
regular point releases from -STABLE on a 6-month cycle (just a strawman).
freebsd-update's update and upgrade features actually make tracking -STABLE at
release engineered time slices plausible.

One reason that's true is that between 5.x and 6.x, the FreeBSD Project
underwent a substantive change in our approach to binary interfaces.  In 4.x
and before, the letters "ABI" rarely hit the mailing lists.  In 6.x and later,
it's a key topic discussed whenever merges to -STABLE come up.  We now really
care about keeping applications running as the OS moves under them.  We also
build packages to better-defined ABIs -- not perfectly, but OK.

I think John gets a lot of what he wants if we just fix our release cycle.

Robert