Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 10:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is aha broken?

The plot took an interesting twist in my case yesterday.  The box
that fails is a PPro 200 with a 1542C FW Rev. 0.1 (ID=44) and a
2940UW in it.  I stuck an identical 1542 in a P133 with no other
controllers and it works fine with the identical source. (NFS
mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj, installed the world and built a
kernel.)  I'm beginning to suspect that the two different
controllers in the Pro may be causing my problem.  When I get
time I'll pull the 2940 out and see what happens.

On May 12 Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199905121429.HAA01982@daemonweed.reanimators.org> Frank
> McConnell writes:
> : SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> : (probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
> : (probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
>
> I've never used aha on the SMP machine.  Usually this error is an
> indication that one of two things.  First one is a termination error.
> The second is a IRQ/DRQ mismatch.  Usually a termination.
>
> : Figuring that the "create_intr" message above might have something to
> : do with my explicitly configuring irq 11 in the config file (as that's
> : how the card is set), I changed the irq in the config file to ? and
> : rebuilt.  No difference.  Haven't tried changing the card's irq to
> : something other than 11 yet, but I think irq 11 is available for this
> : use.  Suggestions of other things to look at and do would be welcome
> : but I won't get to them 'til tonight.
>
> The aha driver will read the settings from the card, so I doubt this
> is the problem.  I use the 1542CP and a 1542CF.  The CP is always in
> my gateway machine and works fairly well.
>
> The driver doesn't use the hardware status bits that can tell if the
> cable configuration is illegal, nor does it tell you if the
> termination is bad.  Plug and play is poorly supported.  It seems that
> works sometimes.  However, I've had reports of problems which I've
> been unable to recreate here.
>
> I have firmware F.0.
>
> Warner

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null