Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:52:23 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mail Toaster CLUSTER

>Thanks a lot Sascha for the help, but how can I assign
>connections 'round robin' in the DNS

all resource records with same owner, network class, and recordtype are
called an RRset, an indivisible unit.  Bind will always answer with the
complete RRset.

In named.conf, you can specify with RRset-order how named orders the
records within an answer. the default is cyclic. ie, you donīt have to do
anything.

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/config/

>The DNS must be in my internal LAN?

no, Iīd say itīs better than your registered/delegated DNS be on a public
ip in a DMZ.

>Sorry for stupid questions but is the first time I'm
>realizing a big mail server.

DNS is the easy part  :)))

hot-mirroring of two mail servers with highly dynamic and vital contents
(mail) is the hard part. :(((

Since this is your first time, I suggest you K.I.S.S.

Start with one box built with quality components and redundant, hot-swap
disks and redundant, hot-swap pwr supplies and UPS.  Youīll probably have
an uptime of years.

Donīt go crazy with a Quad Xeon at 1.5 GHz and 2 bg RAM.  4,000 mailboxes
isnīt very many, even with webmail.  neither is 10,000.  Spend the money on
redundancy, not power.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K