Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:20:29 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        DerAlSem <DerAlSem@inbox.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-windows

DerAlSem wrote:

>Hello freebsd-newbies,
>
>  Just wonder, what the minimum requirements for X? Can i run it on
>  Pentium 200 MMX, 128 RAM, 4 MB video (shared)? Or i shouldn't try?

The way I here it is that X can run on nicely on a i386/i486 with as
little as 4mb system ram (a stock FreeBSD 5.2.1 system wont boot with
anything less then i486/16MB, I could be wrong on this btw) and that it
is the Window manager, programs, etc that eat up all the resources.

I have X with xfce4 running nicely on a PPro 233, 150MB ram, 8MB ATI card:
http://www.xfce.org/