Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:53:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        ben@narcissus.ml.org, kjk1@ukc.ac.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A simple way to crash your system.

> > Msdosfs is seriously broken.  It has twice damaged my filesystem to the
> > extent that I had to reinstall FreeBSD.  Don't use it.
> >
> > There is no documentation of the fact that it's that screwed up, which is
> > something that whoever's responsible for documenting these things might
> > want to look into.
>
> We should probably just remove it entirely for now.  I have some
> stand-alone dosfs reading code which Robert Nordier gave me and I
> intend to use for sysinstall, so that's that case covered.  Otherwise,
> as you've already found out, you take your life in your hands with
> msdosfs.
>
> Any strong votes to the contrary?  I don't think there's anything
> about the current msdosfs we want to keep anyway.

Yes. (Are we talking about the same MSDOSFS ? :-)

I use it quite often for copying things between FreeBSD (2.1.5-R BTW.)
and DOS (6.22 + Win3.1) and haven't had any problems with it.
I also run Wine on progs on the DOS partitions (in fact only D-Info,
german phone-book on CD) AND copy files at the same time AND do a
find (/etc/daily) on the DOS-FS.

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1      32648    21298    11350    65%    /c
/dev/sd0s1     513776   237032   276744    46%    /d
/dev/sd1s2     811024   439936   371088    54%    /e

I wouldn't like to see it disappear.
I could live with MSDOSFS being disabled by default.
May be it's worth investigating under which conditions it fails.
However, I don't dare to run Win59 and/or WinNT on my machine.
(May be, when Santa Claus brings me my PPro board. :-)

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)