Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:00:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

In Email, michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au> wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> questions:
> > > QUESTION: Why has the interest been missing in the FreeBSD
> > >		camp, but not missing in other camps?
> >
> > "Good question.  Anyone in the audience?"
>
> A lot of hype, near hysteria sometimes, resulting in factional outbursts of
> near violent proportions (cf. "Linux or FreeBSD" in several newsgroups).

That, and probably the "personality cult" Linus has inspired.  I would
suggest that there is a similar but smaller cult with Stallman.  And the
potential probably exists to form an OpenBSD Theo DeRadt cult.  Jordan K.
Hubbard, much to his credit, is not the type of person likely to inspire
a personality cult....he lacks eccentricity.

I'd also suggest that this personality-cult produces the same type of
"multitudes of `worker ants'" force that you discuss.

--
tIM...HOEk
"The approach is in error; it is bad engineering methodology."