Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:58:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current), phk@ra.dkuug.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

See that is "hard evidence" that everybody should be able to
understand, then tell me again how "bright" an idea that
ploy was again please....

I think the only valid point to be made here is that we need to
deligate the tasks of keeping these things up to date. I know
its not fun, so thats why it gets neglected. We need to deal with
that somehow. Lets talk about that and then let this bright idea
die a fast and ugly death .... hey Nate - got more of that "fast
moving metal" around ?? :) :)

> In summary, the repository grows by 3.7MB, and the ctm'ers cop a 1.47MB
> email hit.  The ctm load can be split so that it happens in two seperate
> stages, the import of 2.7.2 does not affect the build, so we could import
> then wait for the ctm deltas to go out, and 24 hours later complete it,
> causing two 750K deltas a day apart.   The people ftping it would be up
> for less.
>
> Just for comparison, lets look at the option that ``takes up LESS space''..
>
> First of all, the gcc-2.6.x stuff would be deleted from the HEAD, moving it
> to the Attic.  So, CTM deletes the old files and sends whole new fresh
> copies to go into the Attic.  So, we have about 12MB of delta to move..
>
> When ctm does that, the delta (because it's internally gzipped) ends up at
> about 2.9MB, and when base64 encoded, it's expanded to 3.9MB of email to
> the ctm'ers *just to delete the old gcc-2.6*!  And it would ge mailed, because
> it's just under the 3MB cutoff...
>
> Then, you expand the repository by adding gcc-2.7.2.tar.gz.uu (around 9.7MB)
> and (if it was mailed, it'd be 13.2MB of email).
>
> Then, to *build* it, it would cost around 25MB of disk space in your obj
> dir to extract the source, plus about 5MB of temporary files and objects.
>
> The only saving that I can see anywhere, is that the amount of space consumed
> by gcc in your checked out /usr/src tree, which would drop from 12MB to 10MB,
> but if you build it, you're far worse off...
>
> For those using CTM because they are not sitting on the end of a clear T1+
> pipe to freefall and have to get this stuff somehow, that's 13MB+ of bad
> news..  Ever tried ftp'ing a 13MB delta into an account with a 5MB disk quota?
> Compared to some of the CTM'ers I'm lucky, I'm on the end of a permanent
> modem link and this stuff comes into a procmail filter that pipes it to
> ctm_rmail, but both machines recieving deltas broke and lost 1 and 4 deltas
> because of having 30+ simultanious sendmails bringing it and other stuff
> that had backlogged in parallel...
>
> > Nate
>
> -Peter

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team