Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:03:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mail Insanity

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

> The spammers of the world have been sending mail to (insert made up name
> here)@mydomain.com, causing my sendmail to respond to them with "No such
> user", which bounces BACK to me since they are using a fake address,
> which ends up in my inbox (I am postmaster).  I'm getting about 1000 per
> day, and can't take it anymore..

Don't accept the mail in the first place. Your sendmail will only generate
the bounce message, because it wants to be responsible when accepting the
mail.

If you block it at RCPT TO: time (which is before it accepts any message),
then the sending mail server is still responsible.

That should be the default. For example:

rcpt to: bogus@rainier.reedmedia.net
550 5.1.1 bogus@rainier.reedmedia.net... User unknown

Since it gives the 550, it never has a chance to receive a message (and
hence it can't bounce it).

Is it your mail server that bounced it?

(By the way, with exim 3, you can use "receiver_verify" and with exim 4,
you can use an ACL to verify the recipient.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/