Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 18:12:26 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        yossman <yossman@yoss.nonline.net>
Cc:        jfieber@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hi there

yossman wrote:

> i don't know if i'm putting this to the correct person, please forward as
> necessary.

	Well there's more than one person here lurking in the shadows. :) The
address you want is freebsd-doc@freebsd.org.

> just noticed in FreeBSD's standard FIND(1) manual, it lists
> the fact that + and - can be used as operators on numeric arguments at the
> END of the list of options, not at the top in the manual.  it would be
> much easier from a 'new person' perspective to have it at the top where it
> starts to list all the options you could use with find.

	With a feature that has very few or relatively few options most man
pages make an effort to list the possible combinations in the "Synopsis"
section at the top of the page. The problem with a command like find is
that there are so many possible combinations of arguments that you could
fill up a man page just listing them all. I do agree with you however
that the discussion about modifying numerical arguments should come
closer to the section where numerical arguments are first discussed. If
it's of any comfort to you it took me quite a while to put two and two
together on that and I am an experienced unix user. :)

> this might seem like a whine, however i'm simply looking at it from a
> newbie perspective.  it makes sense to make documentation easier to use as
> the project as a whole evolves, no matter how small the change might be.

	You are absolutely correct on that, and it's one of the emphases that I
and several other people involved in documentation have. If no one else
gets to it first I will try to hack something together in the next
couple days.

Thanks,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest