Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:29:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. White" <cjwhite@empire.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD routing code

I'm interested in the possiblity of using BSD code
as the IP forwarding engine, interfaced to commercial
versions of routing protocols such as OSPF.  This is all
using VxWorks on a PowerPC.  The target is a rather
high performance router capable of upto 10,000 routes.

I've heard that BSDs TCP/IP is just about the fastest
around, so I thought I'd take a look at it.  A thread
from about two years ago indicated that BSD as a router
is certainly possible, but this seemed to be system running
the full BSD operating system, not just the router code.

Has anyone ripped out just the BSD routing code to
build a router on top of another operating system?
How much effort is involved?

I'm new to BSD code, but on the face of it, the routing
code seems pretty tightly coupled to the kernel.

Any thoughts?

...cj
Christohper J. White