Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:54:39 +0100
From:      Jan Chrillesen <jan@chrillesen.dk>
To:        Charlie Rewt <invalid-address@free-pr0n.netscum.dk>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, usenet@tdk.net
Subject:   Re: Intel wiseman and livengood gigabit ethernet support

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Charlie Rewt <invalid-address@free-pr0n.netscum.dk> wrote:

> We did add one of these cards to a FreeBSD 4-STABLE machine and it
> is detected by the wx driver as follows, but we can't see any packets
> going into it.  I was not around for the networking that resulted in
> the following kernel messages, so I don't know what all was done.

I was the one who added the card to the box so I should probably follow up
on Barrys posting.

The card is detected by FreeBSD and both ends of the fibre gets link.
(The other end is a Cisco Catalyst 6509). It seems that the card receives
data but don't transmit anything. The RX led on the NIC lights up and this
is the output from "show interface" on the switch:

GigabitEthernet2/4 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is C6k 1000Mb 802.3, address is 0030.8035.1673 (bia 0030.8035.1673)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d12h
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/2000, 0 drops
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     286169898 packets output, 1023841019 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

This *could* be a bad fiber but since the link led lights up in both ends
I don't think the fibre is the issue. I tried changing the GBIC in the
switch since we've seen a bad GBIC before.

> Jan 18 10:19:43 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: receive sequence error

This happened when I pulled the fibre to change the GBIC. Again this indicates
that the NIC receives data.

> Jan 18 10:21:21 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: promiscuous mode enabled
> [...]
> Jan 18 10:22:19 news-feed69 /kernel: wx0: promiscuous mode disabled

I fired up tcpdump to see if the kernel got any data from the NIC.
tcpdump didn't show any packets :(

> Just what would be the difference between LIVENGOOD and LIVENGOOD_SC
> anyway?  Is the _SC the copper rather than fiber?  I'm trying to wrap
> my brane around the differences between the FreeBSD and Linux vendor/
> device IDs...

SC is the fiber connector.

/jan