Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:51:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Observation re: /etc/security (1.36.2.5 2000/08/08 18:05:26)

Please note that this is an observation -- not a complaint, whine, or even
a suggestion for change:  merely something I noticed that makes sense
after I think about it, but caught me a little off-guard, so I thought it
might be worth mentioning so others will have a chance to think about it
before they see it.  OK?

I upgraded a couple of laptops & my desktop from earlier 4.1-STABLEs to
the "snapshot" captured as of our local CVS server's CVSup yesterday
morning.  Things seem to be going well, as many of us have come to expect
-- I'll take this opportunity to express my appreciation for both the
technical work and the coordination of same that goes into the project.
(Yes, I realize that things aren't always smooth.  This is, after all, a
human endeavor....)

What I noticed was that in the list of "changes in mounted filesystems",
changes in the amd PID count as reported changes.

Of course, this doesn't affect folks who don't use an automounter; we do.

And given that this is goming from /etc/security, it's arguably the
Right Thing To Do, as well.  But it might also be considered mere noise
-- depending on one's perspective.

In this case, the PID change was an artifact of the re-boot to implement
the newer 4.1-S on my desktop; there were quite a few other messages
(differences in binaries; dmesg chatter, ...).

As above, I was merely a little surprised at this; no harm done....

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823