Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 96 10:04:17 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD hackers), freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Documenters)
Subject:   Re: man page hacking

> As Don Yuniskis wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to repair some existing and create some new
>> man pages.  But the macros are pretty much alphabet soup!
>> Can someone point me to a description of those used in man
>> pages?
>
> RTFM :-)

Where?

> j@uriah 227% apropos mdoc
> mdoc(7)                  - quick reference guide for the -mdoc macro package
> mdoc.samples(7)          - tutorial sampler for writing  manuals with -mdoc

That's only part of the story.  A large number of man pages are
written with the an (-man) macros, and I haven't been able to find any
documentation for them either (on any platform, for that matter).

FWIW, you can format all man pages with the andoc (-mandoc) macros.
andoc decides whether they're in an or doc format, and loads the
appropriate macros.

Greg