Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:45:07 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>, multimedia-list freebsd <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Skype-1.4 on 6.2 (and 7.0-BETA1)

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Andriy Gapon said:
> on 31/10/2007 12:36 Stefan Lambrev said the following:
> > Hi Jan,
> >
> > Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
> >> Before, I had skype-1.2.0.18_4 on 6.2, which worked.
> >>
> >> Today, I portupgraded to skype-1.4.0.118.
> >>
> >> Now I only get: "Call Failed. Problem with Audio Playback".
> >>
> >> I killed artsd and increased hw.snd.maxautovchans and
> >> autovchans, but nothing helped.
> >>
> >> Is the new version of Skype supposed to work on 6.2-RELEASE?
> >>
> >> For comparison, I rebooted into my test install of 7.0-BETA1 and
> >> installed skype-1.4.0.118 there. Starting skype gave me:
> >>
> >> skype: error while loading shared libraries:
> >> /usr/lib/librt.so.1: ELF file OS ABI invalid
> >>
> >> I solved that problem with a solution from emulation (about
> >> matlab):
> >>
> >> compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2 -> 2.4.20
> >>
> >> Is this expected? (I guess this question should go on
> >> emulation.)
> >>
> >> Anyhow, sound works on 7.0-BETA1.
> >
> > 20071030:
> >   AFFECTS: users of net/skype
> >   AUTHOR: beech@FreeBSD.org
> >
> >   The skype port has been upgraded to version 1.4.0.118. This
> > requires a sysctl
> >   change to run. After upgrading, please do: "sysctl
> > compat.linux.osrelease=2.6"
> >   from a terminal. Also add: "compat.linux.osrelease=2.6" to your
> >   /etc/sysctl.conf  to make this change at boot time. Also,
> > net/skype-devel has
> >   been removed from the ports tree. All skype users are
> > encouraged to update to
> >   the latest version.
> >
> > I personally jumped for linux_base-f7 and linuxolator 2.6, I have
> > installed and linux_dri
> > and new skype seems to work perfect.
>
> BTW, is linux_base-f7 a requirement too ?
> Because on FreeBSD 6.2 fc4 is the default now and skype 1.4.X (from
> the port, of course) doesn't work for me, either with the default
> or with 2.6 value of compat.linux.osrelease. With 2.4.2 I get the
> same problem as Jan: "Call Failed. Problem with Audio Playback" for
> any attempt to call. With 2.6 skype simply didn't start with a
> message like "Can not setup LDT for thread something...".

I did test this on 6.x with no problems, however Skype has a long
history of not playing nicely with some sound cards. I am planning to
put a skype12 legacy version in the tree after the freeze. My advice
would be to stick with skype12 if you're having problems.

> BTW, there is a different question that I have and maybe another
> part to my situation. My system is actually FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p6
> amd64, emphasis on amd64. So now you see what can add to my skype
> problems. And here's the question: our linuxolator emulates i386
> Linux even on amd64, is there any reason that skype port has only
> i386 in the allowed archs ? The same question goes for any ports it
> depends on and that have the same restriction (if any).
> WITH_NVIDIA_GL is of course not applicable to amd64, bit otherwise,
> in my understanding, everything should. Am I missing something
> important ?

Skype positively will not work on FreeBSD 64 bit. The forums are full
of people screaming for a 64 bit linux version and the only success
has been on ubuntu using their 32 bit compatibility layer. Even with
that the results were less than optimal. I'm sure sooner later they
will release one, but getting them to release a 64 bit oss version is
uncertain. If someone is successful at getting Skype to work on amd64
I definitely would like to know. Ubuntu has a /usr/lib32 dir for this
kind of problem. Maybe someone with some time and libmap.conf foo can
look into it.

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html