Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 1995 13:35:37 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NETBEUI for FreeBSD? Any docs?

> <<On Thu, 19 Jan 1995 18:57:28 +0000, Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com> said:
>
> > As does NETBEUI in Workgroup for Windows.  Most of the support for NETBEUI
> > already exists in FreeBSD in the netccitt directory.  NETBEUI is little more
> > than LLC2 (ISO 8802.2 Class 2) with SMB running over it.  LLC2 is really LAPB
> > slightly hacked to works over LANs.  netccitt already has the LAPB
> > engine, someone needs to add in the LAN support (as well as getting the
> > right hooks in ethersubr).
>
> You mean like:
>
> wollman@khavrinen(753)$ pwd
> /usr/src/sys/netccitt
> wollman@khavrinen(754)$ ls llc*
> llc_input.c     llc_output.c    llc_subr.c~     llc_var.h
> llc_input.c~    llc_subr.c      llc_timer.c
>
> ?  Or is there something more?  (I suspect so, since the existing LLC2
> code only talks to the X.25 code.)

The llc code looks like it should work for doing the LLC2 work.  There are a
few datagrams that need to dealt with for name discovery but those should not
be hard to add.

Adding a socket interface to the llc routines (look at the X.25 interface
to see what needs to added on the bottom) should suffice.  If I were doing
it, I'd make the interface a generic LLC2 interface with bind/listen/accept
/connect etc suppport.  (The UI packets would be delivered to the listener
to deal with -- the listener would also transmit).

The reason for that is so other LLC2 protocols could be added (such as RPL)
without additional kernel hacking.

Matt Thomas                          Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
U*X Networking                       WWW URL:    http://ftp.dec.com/%7Ethomas/
Digital Equipment Corporation        Disclaimer: This message reflects my
Littleton, MA                                    own warped views, etc.