Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 13:51:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Boisvert <alex@gel.usherb.ca>
To:        Jack Wenger <info@bentreality.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Makemap

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Jack Wenger wrote:
> HELP!
> I just did a stupid. I added an entry to my virtusertable and did:
>
> makemap hash ./virtusertable > ./virtusertable
>
> destroying my virtusertable.
> Is there any way I can get the information back out of virtusertable.db?

You can install the port called "db", which is newer version of db
(FreeBSD's default is v1.85, the most recent version is v2.3.11, I think).

Included in this port is a utility called "db_dump185" which will do what
you want.  You'll have to compile the port...

After that, try something like:

host%  db_dump185 -p /etc/virtusertable.db

to see your file resurected in ASCII form.

Good luck,
Alex Boisvert.