Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 14:49:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        jdm@cbemg.cb.lucent.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56k modems

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 jdm@cbemg.cb.lucent.com wrote:

> What equipment do I need on my end to use
> the 56k modems? As I understand it, a digital
> line is required so that must mean a channelized
> T1 and some sort of channel bank to demultiplex
> the line. Any help or pointers are appreciated.

You need a term server that can take the T1s (channelized or PRI - the
channelized MUST be trunk side) and supports one or both of the protocols.
We use the USR total control exterprise hubs for X2, and ascend 4048's for
Flex - While there are other factors involved, Im told our flex functions
better than the flex of one of our competitors that uses an upgraded
lexington portmaster - but I have no personal objective proof of this.

Both of these are capable of using the same radius server (We use the
merit one) which cuts down on computer guy burnout! :)  And both can be
set to use a secondary radius server should its primary be too busy to
respond.

If you go with a flex machine - make certain its flashed to the current
code - and say the same to any users who have trouble keeping a
connection.  Our ascends came with beta ware and were droppy till flashed
to the current code.

Both products are easy to flash.

Steve Hovey
Chief Engineer