Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:57:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        cgd@pa.dec.com (Chris G. Demetriou)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, cjs@portal.ca, dfr@nlsystems.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

> > > I'd be very suprised if the Linux PALcode works with NetBSD. NetBSD
> > > requires the Digital Unix/VMS PALcode.
> >
> > It does.  I can guarantee it, since that is what I've been running
> > the NetBSD on.
>
> That depends on which platform you're running on, i'd guess.
>
> On a multia, i could believe that it works.
>
> On other platforms, e.g. eb64+ and eb164 (and other systems of the
> same systype, of course), I sincerely doubt that it would (because the
> Linux PALcode didn't implement PAL ops that the "real" OSF1 firmware
> requires the OS to use to maninipulate interrupt state).

This is not PAL code written by the Linux crowd; this is the DEC
PAL code diskette that comes with the Multia that comes with Linux.
It can't be sold for use with OSF, only with Linux.  That's why I've
been calling it the Linux PAL code.

Has the Linux crowd actually written PAL code?  That would be an insane
thing for them to do...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---