Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:36:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> > 	Hmmm, what kind of speeds are you getting with the Ricochet?
>
> Between 14.4 and 28.8.  It depends on where you are in relation to the
> antennas.

	Oh okay, had you actually seen any of their antennas before?

> A friend of mine has found that the Ricochet modem overclocks the serial
> port, so watch out if you have a laptop with a 16450 UART -- you'll have
> to run at 19200 instead of the max 38400.

	Hmmm, what about on a desktop with a 16550 UART?

> > 	Hmmm, do you just use a three digit number to reach U of Oregon
> > like the number**ppp or is the number longer than that and is the
> > performance different if you just used the ricochet internet service
> > instead of the university gateway?
>
> Yup.  I haven't used Ricochet's service so I can't compare them.  All I
> know is that the University is free and Metricom's is not :)

	Not for UC Berkeley since I think students get it for $29.95/month
with the modem rental included...  While the normal rate is $29.95 +
$10/month for the modem...  What are you guys paying there?

> > I am using mines on my desktop and
> > even one foot away, it was making my screen's information shaking and my
> > speakers kept getting the static...
>
> We have found that some monitors and other hardware are not well shielded,
> and the radio transmissions do interfere with them.  There is a Mac with
> an older display that has this problem.  The best thing to do is move the
> radio.  You can buy a 10 ft cord from Metricom so you can place the modem
> further away from the problem hardware.

	Hmmm, the only problem here is my modem can be next to my computer
case but my modem is close to the window now, does the performance
decrease if i put it farther away from the window?

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin