Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Serge van den Boom <svdb@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/34390: incorrect error with getaddrinfo with hostname+AI_NUMERICHOST

The following reply was made to PR misc/34390; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Serge van den Boom <svdb@stack.nl>
To: Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:52:11 +0100 (CET)

 On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Peter Pentchev wrote:
 > On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:06:36AM +0100, Serge van den Boom wrote:
 > > >Number:         34390
 > > >Category:       misc
 > > >Synopsis:       incorrect error with getaddrinfo with hostname+AI_NUMERICHOST
 > > >Originator:     Serge van den Boom
 > > >Release:        FreeBSD 4.5-RC i386

 > > When using getaddrinfo with AI_NUMERICHOST set in the options field of
 > > the hints structure, and passing a non-numeric host name, EAI_NODATA is
 > > returned. RFC 2553 requires an error code of EAI_NONAME in that case though,
 > > and this is what the getaddrinfo man page also says (in fact it's the same
 > > text).
 > Can you try the following patch?  It seems to fix the problem for me.
 > It is made against RELENG_4 sources, but applies cleanly to -CURRENT, too.
 Actually, I can't. I don't have root access on the machine I encountered the
 bug on, or any other 4.5-RC machines.
 But I've contacted an administrator and he'll apply the patch later today.
 So I'll get back to you then.

 Greetings,

 Serge