Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 08:26:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsh/Rlogin/Rcmd & friends

> telnet/ftp/"r" commands shouldn't even be ports.  We need to make it
> difficult to install unsafe software on the system.  That way the admin
> would have to go to all the trouble to find the source for unsafe
> software somewhere on the Net, port it, and install it.  Then it's not
> FreeBSD's fault if that admin's system is compromised.

Excuse me. When did we go from "reliably delivering the bullet to its
intended target" to "padding the sysadmin until he can't see the
keyboard for all the fluff" ?

<IMHO>
It is not, has never been, and will never be, "FreeBSD's fault" if the
admin didn't do a proper job of configuring his system.

If anything, it is our task to meet the demands of the admin, whatever
they may be. If I ever start seeing this "Are you sure?" thing popping up
all across the system, I doubt FreeBSD will ever touch my desktop again,
and my servers only for as long as no alternative exists. I believe this
is a very common opinion.

There should really be a policy decision made here, in a formal manner,
rather than setting a precedent without having thought that through.

</IHMO>

Yours,
Marius Bendiksen