Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:25:57 -0400
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: (Originially): Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured.

The truth is, that many companies and private organizations actually do
filter all mail not just for viruses but many do it for "non-work-related"
activities, because they feel that one shouldn't use company bandwidth to
send "personal" email. Recently I knew someone who received a company
reprimand about using email for personal use even though such a
"restriction" was not even in the company policy, and he was sending his
mails off company time.  Furthermore, we know that e-mail is probably less
secure than even a phone call or snail-mail (at least in the non-underground
"normal" world).  The chance that a piece of suggestive email may fall "into
the wrong hands" is high.  If you remember some incriminating cell phone
call made by Newt Gingrich that was intercepted by some layperson ended up
as one of the scandals of 1997 or something.

At the same time, because e-mail is a very effective asynchronous mode of
communication, it is easier to send private or confidential messages as
opposed to phone messages or fax. (e.g. You probably wouldn't want
confidential faxes floating around the office, and most offices have one or
two fax machines per department.) The disclaimer at least offers a warning,
if not actual defense against unauthorized (mostly unintentional)
activities. This is kind of like the EULA on closed-source software, which
most people blatantly ignore, but it's still there and gives the SPA at
least some authority in the matter.

Peter C. Lai | University of Connecticut
peter.lai@uconn.edu
Dept. of Residential Life | Programmer
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences | Dept. of Molecular & Cell Biology |
Undergraduate Research Assistant