Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 07:55:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Journey2.mat.net>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: weird cable

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > Someone just dumped a couple of interesting-looking computers on me, and
> > they're both one cable short of working, so I thought I'd ask around and
> > see if anyone has ever hear of this fairly weird one.
> >
> > The computers are DEC 5000-120's, they both have 19" color monitors (which
> > makes them dandy for working into my FreeBSD box!) but they both need thos
> > odd cable that combines the mouse and the keyboard (and a B/W monitor
> > cable, which I won't use) into one, umm, I think 15 pin D connector.
> >
> > I need twoof these weird cables.  Anyone know where they could be gotten?
>
> Those were also used on old VAXstations (MicroVAX II and 3100 series). You
> may have a separate mouse/keyboard connector too, which would make the
> problem easier (the 3100s had). There are also RGB versions you can use
> (use only the green connector for a B/W screen).I think I can find a
> couple of those cables here, but we're abit too far apart for it to be
> practical. Anyhow, look aroung old VAXstations.

Thanks, but I think it's just slightly more complicated.  A friend here
locally had a cable like that and brought it over, and it didn't work.
They keyboard that comes with the 5000/120 has a RJ45 connector (8
position wide connector, altho only 4 pinds used) while the older cable
he had had a RJ11 connector (6 pin connector, which is somewhat thinner,
and still only 4 [ins used).  His keyboard did not seem to want to talk
to my system.

> > Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> > chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> > 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> > Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic, both FreeBSD
> > (301) 220-2114              | version 3.0 current -- and great FUN!
> >

> Nadav

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |