Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2021 04:21:26 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Deprecating base system ftpd?

04.04.2021 3:39, Ed Maste wrote:

> I propose deprecating the ftpd currently included in the base system
> before FreeBSD 14, and opened review D26447
> (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447) to add a notice to the man page.
> I had originally planned to try to do this before 13.0, but it dropped
> off my list. FTP is not nearly as relevant now as it once was, and it
> had a security vulnerability that secteam had to address.
>
> I'm happy to make a port for it if anyone needs it. Comments?

I'm strongly against remove of stock ftpd. FTP is fastest protocol for both testing
and daily file transfer for trusted isolated segments, and even for WAN wrapped in IPSec.

Our stock ftpd has very short backlog of security issues comparing with other FTP server implementations,
mostly linked with libc or other libraries and not with ftpd code itself.

Please don't fix what ain't broken. Please.