Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 20:03:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@connect.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siguing into current from a random version

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, George Michaelson wrote:

> I've come into FreeBSD after 2+ years tracking NetBSD. I'm still a bit
> confused about some procedures.
>
> NetBSD has a summary of CVS changes and a rolling README of current state
> changes similar to RLOG lines from RCS. Does FreeBSD have this kind of
> summary of changes under CVS? The individual CVS update reports are vital
> for some people, but for passive drones like me, less useful than something
> like a ChangeLog which is append-grown.
>
> The re-sync to current process is not clear. NetBSD ususally had an indication
> from known people when re-sync was vital, and irregular checkpoint tarsets
> existed for people who were nervous of the in-place libc.so upgrade etc etc.

I've never tracked NetBSD, so I'm not sure, but I think maybe that
CVSROOT/commitlogs, which has the commit logs broken up by top level
directories, has what you're asking for, a log of all commits made.  We
don't explicitly make tars when things change, probably because those
changes are often accompanied by a short period of some level of
broken-ness, while bugs are found.  Instead, we have snaps, for those who
don't want to track current totally, but who want to stay reasonably
close, and contribute error reports.  Snaps are usually done during
periods of relative stability, so maybe that's what you're asking for?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |