Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 17:40:38 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for web site to include advocacy site

> maintaining an old server. But Don was not hired to duplicate
> the web pages. He should fix the main pages at www.freebsd.org!

Don wasn't hired to make web pages either, actually, and hasn't.  It's
another group of people who are doing and have done the actual content
of this site, a group independant of freebsd.org in most senses of the
word.

Why independent?  The number one good reason is that getting someone
added to committers just so that they can update a news entry adds a
lot of overhead, to put it mildly, as does the process of getting them
an account on freefall (a machine we're now trying to *tighten up*
access to rather than widen) and acquainted with ssh and/or kerberos.

Since there is also no existing mechanism in the current web pages at
freebsd.org which allows "reporters" to easily drop off their copy for
publication, a real bottleneck is created in trying to recruit a true
"advocacy team" which can proactively go out and gather stuff for
immediate publication without having to take a long detour through the
PR database and some overworked committer first.  This also seems to
be how a lot of the more dynamic sites are being run - a lot of CGI
automation and roving reporters dropping off their stories for the top
page of the day.

Since I didn't see this getting created at www.freebsd.org any time
soon, it simply made sense to set up another box where the advocacy
folks could play with mysql and postgres and Apache/php3 and whatever
else they felt necessary to use in trying to create a dynamic set of
pages which present more timely PR information to our users and our
advocates alike.  Half the tools they're playing with I probably
wouldn't even want installed on freefall at all, at least not until
everything was past the experimental stage and a clearer picture of
all the various requirements was available.  We're still quite a ways
from offering FAQ-o-matic style interfaces to developers and
auto-generating gallery/PR/news content based on their submissions and
the folks working on it are going to be doing a lot of prototyping
before they're through (assuming that ever happens :).  A production
machine is not a good place to play with prototypes, but a relatively
little-known advocacy.freebsd.org server is.

If you're concerned about connectivity and/or mirror convenience,
wouldn't it be possible to simply mirror some portion of that machine
for redistribution?

- Jordan