Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:21:12 GMT
From:      "Domain Owner" <webmaster@oswars.net>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        FBSD-ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Managing DNS

Maybe this will help:

Someone else mentioned that you could have a single NAMED DB file for
multiple domains, the problem would be that the IP addresses for the
services would all be the same. You didn't mention what server software you
are using, but I am assuming you are using APACHE 1.3.4 or later with
Virtual Webhosting setup. The only way to use the same DNS Entries is to
shift your IP based configuration to a NAME BASED Virtual Hosting
configuration in Apache. If you are using FTP, this may also be a challenge
depending on which FTPD you are using. We use PROFTPD because it is similar
in configuartion and features to APACHE. I use IP based on my server, but I
believe that NAMED-BASED may be what you want to look into if you are
concerned about IP Address allocation. You might also want to consider using
QMAIL if you arent already. The packages are located in the ports directory:
Apache Daemon: /usr/ports/www/apache-modssl   http://www.apache.org
ProFTP Daemon: /usr/ports/ftp/proftpd         http://www.proftpd.org
Qmail Daemon: /usr/ports/mail/qmail           http://www.qmail.org

 - Chris Tusa