Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:55:55 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, shigio@wafu.netgate.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Introducing gozilla(1).

No, it means you don't need to launch it *again* when you want to send
a command to the netscape that's already there.  In other words, it
goes like this:

   Is Netscape already running?  No  -->  Start netscape on URL

            Yes

   Send message to running netscape saying "load URL ..."

In my shell functions, I use stuff like this:
	function url { netscape -remote "openURL($*)" } Which invokes
another copy of netscape long enough to send the already
fully-instantiated netscape a message.  On my P6, it's so quick that I
don't notice the overhead, but I can see how that might not be true
for everyone and a command which *just* sends the protocol without
invoking an entire copy of netscape to do it would probably be a win.

					Jordan