Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:37:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        macgyver@infinet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: the old intel aurora board...

> >I have a chance to purchase a Aurora board for $800. It has
> >a P6-200 CPU, ATX Case.
> >I know this board use the old orion chipset, though I also
> >heard that some of the later stepings of the chipset is
> >"fixed". Is this a good deal, or should I fork out the
> >extra and get a Venus Board instead?
>
> I personally wouldn't buy any Intel board, but that's just MHO...
>
> See related discussions on the lists recently for alternatives.

I would, if it came from their server products group.

Unfrotunately, the ones they sell outside the company tend to come
from their OEM products group, and generally fall into the category
of "technical and minimal standards compliance".  That is, they do
stupid things like making all PCI cards go to the same interrupt
because the PCI standard technically allows this, even though it
means that you can't interleave interrupts from multiple PCI cards
(for instance, oh, say, reading a disk on a PCI controller and
writing NFS packets to a PCI ethernet card at the same time).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.