Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:41:10 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7RC on PWS 600AU: machine check panic on boot

Andrew Gallatin writes:

>You can't use > 1GB of RAM on a PWS.  I don't think the busdma code is
>currently smart enough to use s/g dma for buffers outside the
>direct-map window (1GB on PWS).  The failure mode is rather strange,
>but not all that surprising if an errant DMA scribbled over some
>kernel data.

*sigh*, ok, NetBSD allegedly does support scatter-gather DMA for >1GB,
so I'll rather try and get the bug fixed there which causes SCSI
errors after some disk usage...  I want to use the machine with the
installed 1.5G RAM, naturally.

However, the problem with FreeBSD is not some odd crash somewhere,
but a machine check always at the same place at boot.  Don't know
if that's related to the situation you describe.

>Not what you wanted to hear, probably.

Yeah, you can't always get what you want. :)

--
Matthias Buelow,
de.mukappabeta@mkb