Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:28:36 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "William Wong" <willwong@anime.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmptypes

In message <003c01c00bb7$94783340$0300a8c0@anime.ca> "William Wong" writes:
: Thanks for the responses.  I've got a somewhat follow up question.
: Instead of just dropping an icmp packet with say ipfw's deny rule, is there
: a "polite" way to deny the packet.  To clarify, I want to send an equivalent
: of a "tcp reset" back, to let them know it's closed.  Or is there no such
: thing as this for the icmp protocol?  I'm not that familiar with this
: protocol as you can see.

For ICMP packets, drop them on the floor, but make sure that you have
the path mtu types enabled.

Warner