Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:57:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        macgyver@infinet.com (Wilson MacGyver)
Subject:   Re: direct access to video card

As Wilson MacGyver wrote:
> I have a question, how can I access the video card directly?
>
> I'm trying to implement a 2d/3d primitive library, and I don't
> want to have to use X for it.

You can mmap() the frame buffer, but have a look at the ten thousands
lines of code in the XFree86 Xserver that deal with every and each
hardware idiosyncrasy of the various not-really-compatible graphics
cards.  I'm sure, you'll immediately give up your idea.

Your best bet by the time the next release of XFree86/tm will be out
is to use their ``DGA'' (direct graphics access ?) Xserver extension.

--
cheers, J"org