Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:26:16 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <toa@pop.agri.ch>
To:        Dario Freni <saturnero@freesbie.org>
Cc:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

Hi Dario,

Dario Freni wrote:

> Today I made my first minimal iso in ppc :) but have no cd-rw to test
> it. Will buy a couple tomorrow. In the meantime I'm compiling some
> apps (argh! emacs port doesn't compile). I hope to have a test iso
> soon.
>
> Little update to the article. USB, sadly, works better than
> FireWire. When booting from FireWire i'm not able to make a
> buildworld. It exits really at *random* points with quite *random*
> error codes (96, 120, 223...). Absolutely no problem switching to USB
> (same box, it's a combo usb/fw external case).

How much RAM does your mini have ? I ask because my albook has 1GB and I
encountered similar failures, I also boot from fw. I replaced my fw case
and before I limited ram to 512MB (hw.physmem=512M) and built world.
With current sources. Then I was able to buildworld again with full 1GB.
Well, I do not know yet what it was, the current sources or the fw case.

Andreas