Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 11:44:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel hangs at boot (uhci-related)

In article <200105191845.f4JIj0K01284@mass.dis.org>,
Mike Smith  <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> You're not tying up an interrupt; PCI interrupts are shared.  With the
> new PCI code, even if you turn it off, we'll just turn it right back on
> again. 8)

But if IRQ 5 is assigned to the uhci device, then it's not available
for use by an ISA device, is it?  Or am I all mixed up?

> The problem appears to be a bug in the UHCI driver.

Could be, and I certainly don't know much about this code.  But
it seems like the driver is being given reason to assume it has a
working device when it doesn't really have one.  I assume the device
is unusable without its interrupt, so shouldn't it fail at probe or
attach time?

John