Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:38:22 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/16147: New Awhois Port

In message <20000117202638.D65852@florence.pavilion.net>, Josef
Karthauser writ
es:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 11:28:26AM -0800, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
> > Unless the base whois has the scalability of keeping up with the
> > mindless people who keep wanting to change the way the whois databases
> > modify their output I see need for the awhois. Currently the whois in
> > the base does not have the function to look up NIC handles.
> >
> > Please add the port.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Whois in the base _should_ have the ability to lookup NIC handles.  It
> used to have.  If it doesn't work anymore then I must have broken it!
>
> Have I broken it?

No you haven't.  It just needs the -a flag.

An approach to keeping up with the ever-changing whois server list
might be to make whois.c table driven through an external file.  The
advantage that the awhois script has over whois.c is ease of
modification.  An external whois reference table would make server
lists easier to maintain.  It could look for the file in
/usr/share/whois and /usr/share/whois/default.  The latter containing
the FreeBSD distributed file while the former contains a locally
maintained file, should changes be required between releases.

Before anyone asks for patches, I could start working on this on Jan 23
or 30.  If you want it sooner either produce patches yourself or wait
'till the end of the month.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD
Province of BC