Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:41:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org (Michael Lucas), dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral), mbendiks@eunet.no (Marius Bendiksen), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad suspending to 165 (was Re: Partition (Slice) tables)

> > In general, the "suspend to disk" function apparently looks for
> > the first non-DOS, non-Extended, non-Linux partition, and will
> > stomp its suspend image there.
>
> No, it does not. It just freezes during boot.

This doesn't jibe with the posts I saw; I don't have an A320,
I have a Sony VAIO, so I can't speak authoritatively; do you
have an A320?

> > Or in simpler terms, "What part of ``_dangerously_ dedicated''
> > did you not understand?".
>
> Dangerously dedicated has nothing to do with it. The BIOS will freeze
> even on machines with a proper partition table and Windows 98 or 2000
> installed alongside FreeBSD.

Puckey.  I've seen an A320 running dual boot with Windows 2000
and FreeBSD.

> Terry, sorry to say this, but you are *such* a spin doctor...

I am not being an appologist for IBM.  I haven't worked for them
for several weeks; I'm currently working on code that I don't
think could have been brought successfully to market in the
context of a division of IBM (not dissimilar to the code that
I've worked on that couldn't be brought to users, even for free,
in the context of the FreeBSD project).

FWIW, I heard that it stomped the FreeBSD partition, not merely
"hung on boot".  A net search shows some postings to Linux lists,
and a similar feeding frenzy to what is currently occurring on
advocacy, for what I assume is a previous BIOS release on IBM
ThinkPads in that series, prior to the Linux advocacy stepping
up to bat.

I also have a problem with the "OS recovery" CDROM that IBM
supplies to recover a system from the standards Windows "degrade
into unbootability.

Personally, I would recommend use of Partition Magic and Boot
Magic, since it seems that if you don't screw around with the
MBR or totally eliminate the Windows stuff, it works OK on the
A320s I've seen.

I haven't had opportunity to need to "recover" my Sony with
the Sony recovery tools (yet, anyway), so I can't speak for
them.  FWIW, I expect that the Sony machine, being from Japan,
where the FreeBSD advocacy isn't so milktoast, will probably
recover my machine without damaging the FreeBSD partition.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.