Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:41:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        aa8vb@ipass.net, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3D board for XFree86 GLX - Please recommend

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > Someone told me that future nvidia boards will be AGP only though
> > which really sucks since none of my alphas have AGP and I don't think
> > alphas will ever have AGP.
>
> I first thought AGP was just a PCI bus run at 2x33 MHz or even 4x33 MHz.
> But there must be more to it, if you say that alpha boards don't feature
> AGP. Embrace & extend tactics from Intel?

I think so. I'm not sure of the exact details but I think it is either
Intel specific or it is patent protected.

> Just out of curiosity:
>
> I understand that the PCI bus specs are CPU independent, but what is with
> the BIOS on a PCI card, isn't that written in x86 code?
>
> Does a non x86 system like alpha simply ignore the BIOS?

The firmware in my alphas includes an x86 emulator for running the BIOS on
VGA cards and sometimes SCSI cards. Fortunately, no useful operating
system needs to rely on this method to actually use the card.

> > It also makes it impossible to use them in a multihead configuration
> > since I think AGP is limited to exactly one slot.
>
> Intersting.
> Which brings me to another question - I pulled the old RIVA 128 card,
> I wonder if I could have let it stay in the system together with the TNT.

Its quite possible that the RIVA128 would co-exist with the TNT. I'm
pretty sure that you can have >1 TNTs in a box.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com