Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:07:33 +0200
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   nfs problem (UCX/VMS)

I'm mounting a VMS system via UCX/NFS (ok, this always had been troublesome).

mount castor:/2_dua3/export /u/vax

I'm superuser at this moment, of course. I do

cd /u/vax
vi somefile   and get:

vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error, PID 1791 failure
pid 1791: vi: uid 0: exited on signal 11

then I do

su someotheruser (which has the uid/gid set to the owner/group identical
to that on the VMS side - this technique is a convenient method to solve
potential access rights problems)

and 'vi somefile'   there is no problem.

Even if the VMS/NFS product is not known to be one of the stablest
at least on the FreeBSD side there shouldn't occur no core dump.