Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 15:30:59 -0000
From:      "Stuart Herbert" <stuart@askone.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation problems w/ FreeBSD v2.2.8

Hi there!

I've just gone through the process of trying to get FreeBSD 2.2.8 up and
running on a bog-standard IDE-based PC, and thought someone should know
about the following problems I came across.

My apologies if these are already known problems.

PC Drive Configuration:
-----------------------

  Primary:
  o  1 x 3.2Gb EIDE drive, master, 1 partition, Win98 installed
  o  1 x 3.2Gb EIDE drive, slave , no partitions

  Secondary:
  o  1 x EIDE CD-ROM drive, slave, booting from FreeBSD CD #1

Installation Problems
---------------------

  o  First attempt: booted from CD, selected the full visual mode
     to configure the kernel, went through to deconfigure the
     drivers, selected Q to save and exit, the screen cleared, and
     the machine hung.

     Had to reboot and restart the installation.

  o  Second attempt: decided not to configure the kernel ;-)

     Got down to option 5 - Novice install.  Came to select which
     disk to install the BootMgr onto.  When I selected my master
     drive (the one without FreeBSD on it), up popped fdisk - why?

     Exited fdisk, and came to the bit where you create FreeBSD
     partitions within the fdisk partition.  Unfortunately, fdisk
     pops up with my master drive (the one without FreeBSD on it),
     and as far as I can see, from inside your fdisk I cannot
     make it select my slave disk (the one I want to install FreeBSD
     onto).

At this point, the novice installation procedure is of no use to me, and
to anyone else who wishes to install FreeBSD in this manner.

I'm sure I can get around this using the Expert installation, but I'm
sure you'll have plenty of other users who really need the Novice help.

Best regards,
Stu
--
Stuart Herbert                               S.Herbert@sheffield.ac.uk