Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 19:58:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dan Walters <djw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   console freezes/vt100 compatibility

I just started playing extensively with FreeBSD lately, just installed
the latest -stable, etc., and have 2 questions:

1)  I like to switch consoles pretty fast on occasion - should probably
    just use X, but sometimes I prefer the text mode.  Anyway, once in
    a while it will just stop accepting keyboard input, including
    ctrl-alt-del.  The system will keep compiling, ftping, or whatever,
    but I can't do anything or shut it down.  Has anyone else experienced
    this or fixed it?  I have a P133/2940/16MB system, and a friend of mine
    with an old 486/66 IDE system has had the same problem, so I'm assuming
    it's just not me.  (Happened with both the generic kernel and one
    tailored for the system)

2)  I play around on a lot of machines, and the syscons driver doesn't
    seem to fully support vt100, which is about all I need.  I tried
    the pcvt220 deal, but the cursor seemed extremely sluggish and the
    keymaps didn't seem compatible (couldn't switch consoles?)  If anybody
    has any pointers on this sort of thing I'd like to hear em.  :)

Thanks!

Dan Walters
djw@mail.utexas.edu