Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 12:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: strangest error I've ever seen

> When they connect to the bsd machine
> that has their web pages, it takes about 2-5 minutes to serve a single page,
> and about 2 minutes to give a login prompt if they telnet or FTP.

Which version of bsd are you running?  This describes exactly the case when
the incoming connection queue is full, but most Unixes fixed the queue size
a couple of years ago when the web took off and they all ran into the problem.
I think it's SO_MAXCONN, but I can dig it up if you can't find it.  What
happens is the packets are just dropped, and the client sees it as "congestion"
and backs off.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.