Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 18:22:55 +1700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        MRC@Panda.COM, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

> 	Wait, this is stupid...why can't the code have 'fallback' options...
> if .lock fails, try lockin with fcntl(), if fcntl() fails, try with flock(),
> if flock() fails, *then* give an error message and abort...

Because silently relying on flock() to do what the man page says it
does is something that has bit him in the past, he says.

I think it's too much emphasis on the negative.  I think that if he gets
error reports on FreeBSD, he should say "sorry, report it to them: their
flock is supposed to work".  Then if there are bugs, they get fixed instead
of warning the user and prompting a "what does this mean?" support
mail message and a loss of confidence in FreeBSD doing the right thing
by default.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---