Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 13:09:51 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>, John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> Using htonl() on a port number at least seems to be wrong - port
> numbers are 16 bits.  Signed/unsigned trouble too, perhaps?

Heh.  Port numbers are 16 bits, but they are passed around in ints.  If
you follow the code through the kernel, you will see htonl() being used
on a regular basis.

There was a thread "Memory leak in getservbyXXX" on -hackers a while
back in which this was discussed.  I still haven't attacked the
manpages to deal with the outcome of this discussion, as the magnitude
of the obvious task was daunting in the extreme.

mike