Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 14:48:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        Christoph Toshok <toshok@Hungry.COM>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threads performance

On Sat, 25 Apr 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:
> The issue of kernel threads is on my plate, I have been *ordered*
>
>  (not in a demanding fashion, but they are my reason for existance
>  at work for awhile.  We will also be porting the essence of the
>  work to NetBSD -- NetBSD can take 'em or leave 'em if they want,
>  but we are adding the code to our private NetBSD tree at work.)
>
> to do them this week for work (got sick again, so thought I would flamewar
> instead, since my higher order functions were totally gone  :-)).

Will the work you (John) are planning on doing in the near term include
the pthreads wrapper library, or will you just be making clone() work?

Threads performance is also very important to SQRL (the Hungry DBMS), so
I'm very interested in how the pthreads library that uses clone() will be
architected.  Specifically, will we be doing the same as LinuxThreads
does, with a 1:1 mapping of threads to kernel "processes"?  I tend to
think that a multi-level threading scheme, such as what Solaris uses, has
the potential for better scalable performance.  It's also a good bit
harder to write such a library. =(  We'd also need to understand the
performance problems with our current user-land threads library to make
multi-level threads work well.

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]